Monday, June 3, 2013

Extra Credit Blog

Those students who were not able to attend the "You Can Do Anything With an English Major" even, missed out on a great panel of speakers who have obtained successful careers with their degrees in English literature studies.I was surprised to see the diversity in careers.

One woman's career was to read over essays students have entered for scholarships. She would then decide who deserves a scholarship and how much money is granted to each student receiving a scholarship. One of the men among the speakers seemed quite young in age, perhaps in his mid twenties. I was shocked to know he was a professor here at LaGuardia Community College. He attended community college and went on to study at Duke, where he finished his English Degree. His success came quickly due to his hard work and focus. His speech was motivational and encouraged me to keep pushing forward and also urged me to become more involved in school events. The speaker that intrigued me most was the young man who spoke about his career as a lawyer. It was interesting to know that he had started out as an English major and with his degree he went on to study law, something he seemed extremely passionate about. What was most intriguing was when he mentioned his favorite book "Lolita" and how he found music in the literature of the novel. I, myself, find books more enjoyable when the author plays with words and uses prose to create a subtle musical feel to their writing. This young lawyer also shared that he is a musician. For some reason I viewed lawyers as very structural and ordinary, however my view changed once I saw that this man shared a passion for English and was able to achieve all he has achieved with the start of being an English major.

I'm glad I attended this event. I was hoping to have won the raffle of a Barnes & Noble gift card!

No comments:

Post a Comment