Monday, December 10, 2012

Blog Assignment #8: Final Workshop Reflection


As this course is coming to an end I am realizing how much I have grown as a creative writer. This class has came with more than a few challenges with each assignment. By overcoming each challenge and using every writing technique required for each piece I received grades no less then an A-. Though there were many challenges the feeling of accomplishment after receiving each paper was great. I feel I can fully take on whatever writing challenge comes my way with hard work. In a way I am thankful for the challenges of this course. They have made me more conscious of my writing and of how the reader will perceive my writing. I have also learned new techniques of writing papers just a few pages in length. I've learned how to incorporate dialogue, strong details with a bit of emotional distance and how to create a sense of place into my writing. These are key components to great writing that I will take with me on my journey in the creative writing field.

The reading I enjoyed most was Frank McCourt’s excerpt from Angela’s Ashes. I find this piece so amazing because it is from the author’s point of view as a young child yet his memory and sense of character and place was so ripe. This piece taught me how important setting is in a memoir. This piece also showed me how I don’t have to write a memoir from a ‘looking back on life’ perspective.

“You never forget your first hallucination. Those that indulge in a little acid here and there know this is true and possibly those who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Nevertheless, hallucinations are no joke. Your mind takes you into a different world where everything is so tactile and intense. Inanimate objects take strange form, familiar people become unfamiliar in every sense except appearance, and noises of all kinds cloud your ears. Strangely enough every hallucination I have experienced was tactile to its fullest capacity, which means all five of my senses were being manipulated by my mind.
               
To avoid any confusion I’ll clear up a few things. First off, I swear, I’m not crazy. Second off, I’ve hallucinated hundreds of times and sometimes I get a kick out of it. And lastly, I am not a fan of acid or LSD. Moving on.”

This is my favorite piece I've written throughout this course. This is an excerpt from my experimental piece titled "I Swear, I'm not Crazy". I had the most fun with this piece because I had more freedom than the rest and I was able to show a more loosened and fun side of me. My other pieces seemed to have a more serious tone and the 'description of a place' piece was a made up romance. In this piece I share a sleep disorder that I struggle with and make is a somewhat fun topic and intriguing topic. I found it enjoyable to kind of trick the reader into thinking I do some weird heavy drug pretty often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment