Sunday, December 9, 2012

Blog Assignment #7: Author's Note on Memoir


 "I walked downstairs and there he was dressed in his uniform with his bags packed. Sergeant Esquilin, my father, was being deployed overseas to Iraq. Though I had spent my entire life with him, living in the same home, eating the same dinner and watching the same shows from the same television, this day made me feel like fifteen years was not enough time. I felt angry that he was such a workaholic and even angrier at the fact that I was angry at someone who I could possibly lose forever. Feelings of hopelessness and depression overwhelmed my heart."

Right when I received this memoir assignment the first thing I thought to write about was my father being deployed to Iraq. At first I felt that this was a typical tragedy for a memoir until I sought out reasons on why my story in particular is special. My nephew was born two weeks before his due date on the same day my father was deployed overseas. It was truly a miracle and this was the motivation behind writing about this event in my life. 

I have about three journals with writings on random pages about my fathers departure and my everyday life while he was in Iraq. They are dear to me and they are always hard to read all the way through. For this assignment I figured I would use this event because it shaped so much of who I am today.

I had my doubts writing this piece because it took me almost two weeks to fully connect to it. I edited this paper about five times, over the course of three days, before submitting it and I still felt my words were not enough to express this heart breaking yet miraculous day of my life. I sat in front of my computer with Microsoft Word open for some time changing around words, editing dialogue and trying to find the perfect words. Surprisingly, I got an A on this paper and it was such a good feeling. I think this paper is perfect how it is, for the final portfolio. 




No comments:

Post a Comment